Have a potluck? A block party? Or are you have some guests over? And not sure what could be the best appetizer that everyone would love.. I was in this situation a few days back and then decided to go for a 7 layered dip with chips. Everyone would get something and together the dip just works wonders.. it looks big, beautiful and becomes the center of attraction in just minutes of serving. What else do you want…
What do we need?
- A cup of red kidney beans (you can do black or pinto beans as well)
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup sour cream
- A bunch cilantro (very finely chopped)
- 1 large tomato (very finely chopped)
- 2 Jalapeño (very finely chopped)
- Mixed shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1/4th cinnamon stick
- 4-5 whole black pepper
- 2-3 cardamoms
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger pasted
- 1 lemon
- Black pepper powder
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- 2 tbs oil
Let’s get cooking
Cook the beans
- Soak beans overnight.
- Take a tea filter bag and fill it up with the following whole spices- bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, black pepper and cardamoms.
- Boil the beans and add the spices bag in the beans while boiling so all the flvours infuse and then discard the bag.
- In a pot heat oil, add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling add the boiled beans.
- Next next add ginger paste, cumin powder, coriander powder, paprika and salt.
- Cook for about 10 mins till all the flavors infuse.
- In the end make a paste on the beans in a mixer and keep aside.
- Peel and take off the avocado seeds
- Mash the avocados with a fork.
- Mix in a little jalapeños, salt, black pepper powder, some cilantro, garlic powder, onion powder and 1/2 tsp of lemon juice.
- Mix well and keep aside
- In a bowl take the sour cream and add in salt, and lemon juice
- Keep aside
Assemble the dish to make 7 layers
- Use a serving dish about 2 1/2 inches high.
- Start making layers with the first layer being the beans.
- Then next layer of avocados
- Followed by sour cream.
- Next arrange the cilantros.
- On top of the cilantro arrange the tomatoes followed by the jalapeños.
- The last layer is the cheese.. sprinkle it all over but do not cover it with cheese.. the layers and the colors should be visible.