This is a childhood favorite but I never tried making it myself as its a little time consuming dish and requires a lot of attention. We generally make the halwa (dessert) with samolina or wheat and gram flour.. This one is tricky but tastes just beautiful.
What do you need?
- 1 cup split And husked green lentils.soak the lentils for about and hour and then make a paste in a mixer.
- 2/3 cup desi ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup milk
Let’s get cooking
- First things first- please use a non stick pan for this one.. Otherwise you would have a tough time cooking.
- Add the ghee in the non stick pan and once it melts add in the lentil paste.
- Keep sautéing until the paste turns golden brown and looks crumbled. This would take about 20-25 minutes and the texture will turn from a soggy-gluey texture to a crumbled texture. When you get the crumbled texture you also notice that oil has separated.
- In another pan, add the milk and sugar and let this mixture come to a boil.
- Now, add the milk and sugar mixture to the lentil mix and start sautéing again. This mixture will again be lumpy and gluey and start to change texture while cooking. Cook until all the milk is absorbed, ghee(oil) starts separating and the mixture looks crumbled.
- Serve hot, may garnish with chopped nuts of your choice.
I sometimes avoid adding nuts, just to keep a few calories at bay.