Well, it’s quite a work making biryani but when people say, “that’s just amazing”, you are rewarded for your hard work and want to make it over and over again.
Let’s make some biryani and get praised..
What we need
1/2 pound goat meat
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
2 cardamom pods
1/2 cinnamon stick, broken in half
4-5 whole black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 table spoon cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
salt, to taste
1 cup onions (about 1 onion), sliced and fried
1 tomato chopped
juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 cup basmati rice
Let’s get cooking
Marinate the meat
Dry roast cumin seeds, cloves, coriander seeds. Extracted seeds from cardamom pods and whole black pepper. Grind all the spices.
To the above mixture add ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, the juice of lime, and mix together with the yogurt.
In a mixing bowl mix the meat and the marinate mixture together and Marinate in the refrigerator overnight. You might as well marinate for a couple of hours.
Cooking the meat
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
2. Add the bay leaves.
3. Add the sliced onions and fry them until golden brown.
4. Now add the tomatoes.
5. Add a little salt, garam masala, turmeric powder, mint leaves and coriander leaves and fry until oil seperates.
6 ITs time to add the meat. Add the meat and cook for 3-5 minutes and then pressure cook the meat until tender.
7. In the mean time cook the basmati to 70% done.
8. When the meat and rice are both ready, it’s time to assemble and get the biryani in place. For oven – in a tray place a layer of rice and then a layer of meat and keep layering until all of the meat and rice are in the try. Cover the tray with foil paper and cook at 350 F for 20-30 mins or until done.
For gas- layer the rice and meat as mentioned above and then cover with a lid. You might also want to seal the sides with a dough. And cook until the rice is fully done.
Your biryani is ready. Mix the rice and the meat with a very light hand so that you don’t break the rice while mixing and serve with raita.